Cole Slaw with Wasabi Dressing
This is an interesting and flavoursome vegetarian dish that can be used with many different meals. For the meat lover adding meats to the mix will make you feel more comfortable. 🙂
For the wasabi dressing, (makes 1/2 cup, 125ml)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made from Namida® 100% Pure Wasabia japonica (Wasabi) Powder
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp red chile powder
2 tsp minced fresh ginger (peeled)
1 1/2 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup vegetable oil
For the cole slaw:
4 cups (200 g) shredded cabbage (about 1/2 head)
10 radishes, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 avocados, pitted and cubed
5 cornichons, split lengthwise, then thinly sliced
1/4 cup (1/2 bunch) fresh chives, minced
3 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
optional: 8 ounces (225 g) Chinese roast pork or bbq tofu
- Make the dressing by mixing together the lime juice and Namida® Wasabi Paste in a large bowl. Let stand for five minutes.
- Stir in the remaining dressing ingredients until well-blended.
- Add the vegetables, avocado pieces, cornichons, and chives bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Then mix in the pork or tofu (if using), then the sesame seeds.
- Taste, and add more lime juice, if desired.
-If you can’t get fresh limes, lemon juice will work as well.
-Fish sauce adds something special to the dressing. But feel free to leave it out if unavailable.
-Other herbs, such as fresh mint and cilantro could certainly be used along with the chives to customize the slaw.
-Replace the sesame seeds with a handful of roasted peanuts or pumpkin seeds if desired.
-Add any other raw vegetables that you like, such as shredded broccoli, cauliflower, or kohlrabi, to the mix.
-In place of the red onion, you can used thinly sliced scallions or spring onions.