Hot Pickle Mix
6 pounds zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 1/2 cups peeled pickling onions (about 1 pound)
2 cups 1/2-inch sliced carrots (about 4 large)
2 cups 1/2-inch sliced celery
2 cups 1/2-inch chopped sweet yellow peppers (about 2 medium)
2 cups 1/2-inch chopped sweet red peppers (about 2 medium)
1 cup 1/2-inch chopped sweet green peppers (about 1 medium)
1 1/2 cups 100% Natural Canning and Pickling Salt
4 quarts plus 2 cups water, divided
10 jalapeno peppers
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons wasabi paste
2 cloves garlic
10 cups vinegar, 5% acidity
1. Combine zucchini, onions, carrots, celery, sweet yellow, red and green peppers in a large container.
2. Dissolve salt in 4 quarts of water.
3. Pour salt water mixture over vegetables and let stand 1 hour.
4. Cut 3 to 4 slits in each jalapeno pepper; set aside.
5. Combine remaining ingredients; simmer 15 minutes.
6. Remove garlic.
7. Drain vegetables; rinse and drain thoroughly. Pack vegetables, except
jalapeno peppers, into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
8. Add 1 jalapeno pepper to each jar.
9. Carefully ladle hot liquid over vegetables, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
10. Remove air bubbles with a nonmetallic spatula.
11. Wipe jar rim clean.
12. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
13. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met — fingertip tight.
Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Yield: about 10 pints.