Japanese Tempura Prawns With Wasabi Dipping Sauce
30 large prawns in shells
15g (1/2 oz) daikon grated
vegetable oil, for frying
1 large egg
100g (4 oz) plain flour sifted
150 ml (1/4 pint) cold water
- 1) Remove the head and shells from the prawns and cut out the vein from the back of the prawn.
2) Wash and pat dry.
3) Combine the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
To make the batter:
1) Lightly beat the egg until the yolk is broken and starting to blend with the white.
2) Stir in the flour and the water, until just combined, do not over mix the batter; there should be a few lumps in the mixture.
3) Set the batter bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice cubes or crushed ice.
To cook prawns:
1) Heat about 12 cm (4″) of vegetable oil in a deep heavy based pan to a temperature of 180°C/350°F or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
2) Hold the prawns by the tails dip into the batter and then carefully slip them into the hot oil.
3) Fry the prawns five at a time for about 2 minutes until the batter is golden and very crisp.
4) Drain on kitchen paper, and keep warm while frying the remaining prawns.
5) Serve at once with the Wasabi Dipping Sauce.