This is a meal for when you want to make an impression. There is a bit of fiddling around, especially getting the ingredients, but when you serve it with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes you will think you have died and gone to heaven.
½ cup peanut oil (or another high temperature cooking oil)
1 Tbsp. Black peppercorn
1 Tbsp. Ground star anise, plus whole pieces, for garnish
1 tsp. coriander seeds
¼ tsp Szechuan peppercorns
½ tsp. red curry paste
1 Tbsp. Tamarind paste
1 Tbsp. Honey
½ cup Madeira wine
¾ cup veal stock (or chicken stock)
1 lb. beef tenderloin
1 Tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. Namida® Wasabi Paste made from Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
2 Tbsp. Butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Preheat a grill.
- In a saucepan, heat oil, black peppercorns, star anise, coriander seeds, and Szechuan peppercorns for 1 minute until aromatic.
- Stir in red curry paste, tamarind paste, and honey.
- De-glaze with Madeira wine and reduce until syrupy.
- Add the veal (or chicken) stock and continue to reduce in half.
- Transfer to a blender and process to a puree.
- Strain and set aside.
- Over hot grill, cook the tenderloin until grill marks appear on all sides.
- Transfer to a sauté pan and pour in half of the strained sauce.
- Roast in the oven for 4 to 5 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Transfer the remaining sauce to a saucepan and cook over medium heat.
- Reduce until thickened.
- In a cup, dissolve the powdered mustard in rice wine vinegar. Whisk in wasabi paste and finish sauce with the butter.
- To serve, cut the steak into thin slices.
- Cover with Sweet Wasabi Sauce and serve with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes garnished with a whole star anise.