Smoked Salmon and Cucumber Sushi Rolls
This is another favourite from the sushi bar.
2 cups sushi rice (any short grain variety)
1 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
1/2 cup sugar
8 sheets of nori
1/4 cup pickled ginger, julienned
1 cup of cucumber strips
1 cup smoked salmon strips
Lime soy syrup
- Wash rice at least three times or until water is clear.
- Fill rice cooker or casserole with water to about (25 mm) 1 inch over the rice.
- Over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium high heat and boil vigorously for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cook a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit, still covered, for another 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, slowly heat the vinegar, mirin (sweet rice wine) and sugar until very hot but not boiling.
- Fold in “su” (vinegar and sugar) with the hot rice.
- Place rice carefully in a clean bowl, cover, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- On a sushi mat, place a sheet of nori.
- Lightly pat rice on bottom two thirds of nori.
- Place pickled ginger, cucumber strips and salmon strips on top of rice.
- Finish with a few drops of wasabi oil.
- Roll up sushi tightly, moistening the edges to seal and let rest.
- Cut sushi and arrange on a platter. Use a a wet knife to stop sticking.
- Serve with wasabi oil and lime soy syrup.