Tempura Trout Roll with Caramelised Onions and Spinach
3 large red onions, sliced
1/3 cup red wine
4 skinless trout fillets
4 sheets of nori
2 cups spinach, chiffonaded
Sunflower oil for deep frying
2 cups rice flour
1 tsp ground cumin
1 quart (1 litre) club soda
2 tsp Namida® Wasabi paste made from Namida® wasabi powder
1) In a hot saute pan add onions without any oil.
2) Do not stir onions until they are browned.
3) Season with wasabi paste, salt and pepper.
4) When caramelized, deglaze the pan with red wine.
5) Let cool.
6) Lay a trout fillet on top of one sheet of nori.
7) Season trout with salt and pepper.
8) Place some onions and spinach on top and roll tightly.
9) Heat sunflower oil in a deep pan to 375 degrees F (190 deg. C).
10) Prepare tempura batter by whisking rice flour and cumin with enough club soda to resemble pancake batter. Dip entire roll in batter and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Be careful not to overcook the trout.