Avocado and Crab Meat Sushi Rolls
This is one of the traditional sushi rolls you get when you buy a pre-pack or go to a sushi restaurant.
For the rice
1 cup short grained rice
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Sake or dry Sherry
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups water
For the filling
fresh lemon juice for rubbing the avocado
three 8 by 7 inch pieces of toasted nori
1/2 cucumber, peeled and cut lengthwise into 8 by 1/4 inch (200 x 6 mm) strips, discarding the seeds
about 1/4 pound (125 gms) fresh crab meat, thawed if frozen, picked over, and drained
Namida® Wasabi paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder to taste for the sushi plus additional as an accompaniment if desired
soy sauce as an accompaniment
pickled ginger as an accompaniment if desired
Make the rice:
- In a large fine sieve rinse the rice under running cold water until the water runs clear with no milky residue and drain it well.
- In a large heavy saucepan combine the rice with 1 1/4 cups water, bring the water to a boil, and simmer the rice, covered tightly, for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let the rice stand, covered tightly, for 10 minutes, and transfer it to a flat pan, spreading it in an even layer.
- Keep the rice warm, covered.
- In a saucepan whisk together the vinegar, the sugar, the sake or sherry, and the salt, simmer the mixture until the sugar is dissolved, and let it cool.
- Sprinkle the rice with as much of the vinegar mixture as necessary to moisten it lightly, tossing it carefully, and cover it with a dampened cloth.
(Do not chill the rice.) The rice may be made 3 hours in advance and kept, covered with the dampened cloth, at room temperature.
- Peel and pit the avocado, rubbing it with the lemon juice, and cut it into 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick strips.
- Heat the nori in a preheated 350 deg F (180 deg C) oven for 10 minutes, or until it is softened slightly, and keep it warm.
- Working with one sheet of nori at a time and with a long side facing you, spread about 3/4 cup of the rice in an even layer on each sheet, leaving a 1/2 inch (12 mm) border on the long sides.
- Arrange some of the avocado strips horizontally across the middle of the rice and arrange some of the cucumber strips and the crab meat on top of the avocado.
- Dab the crab meat with the Namida® Wasabi Paste and beginning with a long side roll up the nori tightly.
- Cut each roll with a sharp knife into 3/4 inch (20 mm) thick slices and serve the rolls with the soy sauce, the additional Namida® Wasabi Paste, and the pickled ginger.
Makes about 24 to 30 pieces