Kappa Maki (Cucumber Roll Sushi)
A very simple vegetarian sushi you will find in most sushi outlets. Now you can make these at home.
1 sheet nori
cucumber, peeled and cut lengthwise into two 7 inch (175 mm) long thin strips, discarding the seeds
1 1/3 cup cooked sushi rice
Namida® Wasabi paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder, to taste for the sushi plus additional as an accompaniment if desired
soy sauce as an accompaniment
pickled ginger as an accompaniment if desired
- Sprinkle cucumber strips lightly with salt.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Rinse cucumber with cold water and pat dry.
- Cut nori sheet in half.
- Place half sheet of nori, shiny side down, on bamboo mat or plastic sheet.
- Spread 2/3 cup of cooked sushi rice evenly on nori sheet.
- Spread a thin film of wasabi paste down centre of rice, top with a strip of cucumber, and roll sushi into a cylinder.
- Press bamboo mat or plastic sheet around rolled sushi to seal the edges.
- Repeat steps 2 to 7 to make a second roll.
- Place sushi on a cutting board, slice each roll into 6 pieces.
- Serve with Namida® wasabi paste, soy sauce, and pickled ginger.
Makes 12 pieces