Baked Salmon Wasabi Burger – a burger with a difference!
This is a burger with a difference. Firstly we are using salmon as the protein source, and secondly we are using wasabi as an ingredient instead of using relish or pickle. You can use these as well, but I find that you tend to lose the flavour of the salmon.
These salmon patties can be for either the BBQ or as a nice lunch.
Ingredients (serves 6)
700 gms (1.5 lbs) salmon fillets (skin and bones removed)
1 Tbsp. Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise (or creme fraiche or sour cream)
1 Tbsp. cold water
1/2 small onion, cut into quarters
2 Tbsp. garlic chives, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh lemon basil
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. hot (taste not temperature) sesame oil
2 tsp. tamari sauce or 2 tsp. lite soy sauce
1/2 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
6 sesame rolls or 6 poppy seed rolls, toasted. Personally, I like the wholemeal buns with the seeds baked in. 🙂
6 lettuce leaves
6 slices tomatoes
6 tablespoons relish (if desired)
- Mix Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder with the cold water into a stiff paste. Cover and put aside for 5 minutes for flavour to develop. See the video on how this is done.
- Mix activated Namida® Wasabi Paste with lemon juice, mix in mayonnaise (or alternative) and chill until ready to use.
- Place onion in a food processor with blade attachment and pulse to mince onion.
- With processor running add garlic chives and follow with minced garlic cloves, chopped fresh lemon basil, grated fresh ginger, brown sugar, hot (taste not temperature) sesame oil, tamari sauce (or soy sauce), egg , seasoned panko, and salmon fillets in order.
- When you get to the salmon start to pulse until all is coarsely chopped and all ingredients are mixed.
- Form 6 patties and lightly spray olive oil on them.
- Preheat grill to very hot.
- Place patties on grill and reduce heat to medium.
- Grill for 3 minutes and flip grill for 4 more minutes.
- Spread 1/12 of the mayo on the top and bottom of each halved toasted roll, top with lettuce, tomato, burger, and spread relish if desired on burger.
- Top with other half of toasted bun and enjoy.