Blue Cheese and Pastrami Sushi
This is sushi with a strong Western flavour. 🙂
2 spring onion (scallion or shallot)
6 ozs pastrami slices
4 Tbsp Wasabi mayonnaise
2 cups cooked sushi rice
4 Tbsp blue cheese
1 Tbsp pine nuts
2 nori (seaweed)sheets
- Cut spring onion in half lengthwise.
- Lay out nori sheet on bamboo rolling mat. Put plastic wrap under nori sheet to keep bamboo mat clean. The shiny side of the nori sheet should be underneath.
- Spread some of the Wasabi Mayonnaise on the nori sheet leaving 25mm (1 inch) clear on the short edge furthest from you.
- Spread approx 1 cup of sushi rice over mayonnaise. Leave far end clear of rice.
- Spread some blue cheese (or crumble it) onto one of the pastrami slices and roll the pastrami up into a tight tube.
- Lay the pastrami tube approximately 40mm (1.5 inches) up from the short edge of the nori sheet closest to you on top of the rice.
- Next to that lay the half of the spring onion.
- Place pine nuts next to the spring onion.
- If the pastrami tube and spring onion does not cover the full width of the nori sheet then add more until the width is covered.
- Now, roll up the nori sheet tightly, but not too tight. The rice and contents should not squeeze out of the ends of the nori tube.:)
- Use some water on your finger to seal the edge of the nori sheet to itself to complete the tube.
- Repeat with 2nd nori sheet until all the ingredients are used.
- Allow the tube to rest for 10 minutes and slice with a sharp, wet knife into the normal round sushi slices.
- Serve with Wasabi Mayonnaise rather than the normal soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
These can be used as appetisers as well as a healthy snack. Enjoy!