Pickled Daikon Sushi
This is a tasty vegan sushi roll that you can make at home. If you can’t find Daikon radish then use normal radish or another vegetable.
1 sheet nori
daikon, peeled and sliced into two 7 inch (175 mm) long thin strips
1 1/3 cup cooked sushi rice
1 tsp sesame seeds
Namida® Wasabi Paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder, to taste for the sushi plus additional as an accompaniment if desired
soy sauce as an accompaniment
pickled ginger as an accompaniment if desired
- Sprinkle daikon strips lightly with salt.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Rinse daikon with cold water and pat dry.
- Cut nori sheet in half.
- Place half sheet of nori, shiny side down, on bamboo mat or plastic sheet.
- Spread 2/3 cup of cooked sushi rice evenly on nori sheet. Leave 20mm (1 inch) clear at far end of nori sheet.
- Place sesame seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook, shaking pan until seeds lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Spread a thin film of Namida® Wasabi Paste down centre of rice
- Sprinkle with browned sesame seeds
- Top with a strip of daikon
- Roll sushi into a cylinder.
- Press bamboo mat or plastic sheet around rolled sushi to seal the edges. Dampen the edge of the nori sheet to help it stick.
- Repeat steps 2 to 7 to make a second roll.
- Place sushi on a cutting board, slice each roll into 6 pieces. Wet the knife blade to stop it sticking.
- Serve with Namida® wasabi paste, soy sauce, and pickled ginger.
Makes 12 pieces