Salt Cod Fritters With Wasabi Garlic Sauce
900g (2 lb) Salt Cod (salted white fish can be substituted).
100g (4 oz) plain flour
1 tsp salt
200 ml (7 fl oz) milk
2 Tbs ouzo or brandy
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 Tbs chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
Fresh coriander sprigs
- 1) Wash Salt Cod.
2) Place in bowl and cover with cold water.
3) Leave to soak 12 hours.
4) Drain fish.
5) Rinse under cold running water.
6) Pat dry.
7) Remove skin.
8) Cube the fish.
9) Place in shallow dish.
10) Cover with milk
11) Leave to soak another 2 hours.
12) Wash fish again.
13) Pat dry.
14) Make batter as follows:
a) sift flour and salt in big bowl.
b) make well in centre
c) gradually beat in milk, ouzo, or brandy and egg to make smooth pouring batter.
d) stir in coriander and set aside 30 minutes.
1) Heat oil in heavy based pan to 180°C/350°F
2) Dust the fish cubes with flour.
3) Dip in batter and deep fry 4 – 5 minutes until golden brown.
4) Drain on kitchen paper.
5) Serve with Wasabi Garlic Sauce.