Wasabi Pickled Celery
This can either be used as a side dish or as a snack.
7 large stalks celery
2″ piece kombu ( or 50gms dried sea Kelp)
1/3 cup water
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp. mirin
2 Tbsp. sake
1/4 cup soy sauce
20 gms Namida® Wasabi Paste made from Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
- Wash celery and cut the top and bottom off of the celery stalks.
- Peel the celery by taking the hair off
- Cut each celery in half and then in half again so that you have 4 slices of each celery stalk. then cut into 2-3″ length pieces
- Place the already cut celery into a large ziplock bag and add in the 1 Tbsp. of salt. shake bag and set aside for 20 mins.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for blanching the celery
- Add in the celery and boil for 2-3 mins. then immediately transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking. drain and add back into the ziplock bag.
- Cut the kombu into 1/4″ pieces and soak in water for 10 mins (or if using dried kombu, just crumble and add to water to soak).
- In a small pot add in 1/3 cup water and the soaked kombu.
- Bring to a boil and then add in the mirin and sake.
- Boil off the alcohol. cool. then add in the soy sauce and wasabi paste.
- Add in the the liquid from the pot, including the kombu, into the ziplock bag of celery. let stand 2 hours.
- Remove from the bag and transfer to a container, and chill in the fridge.