Wasabi Potato Pancakes
These can be used as a side dish for dinner instead of mashed or roasted potatoes. You can add any ingredients you like to change the colour and flavour to suit your taste and the occasion. Add mashed carrots, pumpkin puree, mashed peas, chili powder, etc.
1.5 lbs (750 gms) russet or red-skinned potatoes
0.25 cup chopped green onions (scallions), including some of the greens
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made from Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp salt
Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel and grate the potatoes into a bowl and add cold water to cover.
- Let stand 15 minutes to extract the starch from the potatoes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the potatoes, drain, and let the water they were soaking in sit for a few minutes.
- Carefully pour off the water, leaving the sediment in the bowl. This sediment is the starch from the potatoes and will help the pancakes to bind together.
- Place the potatoes in a clean towel and gently squeeze out any remaining water.
- Add the onions, cilantro, flour, Namida® Wasabi Paste, garlic, eggs, and salt to the bowl with the potato starch and mix to combine.
- Add the potatoes and stir to mix.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, pour in the oil to a depth of 6mm (¼ inch), and when it’s hot, spoon ¼ to 1/3 cup of the potato mixture into the oil.
- Flatten the pancakes to about 12mm (½-inch) thick.
- Fry the pancake for 6 minutes, or until browned, turn over, and fry the other side until browned.
- Remove and drain the pancakes on a paper towel before serving.