Wasabied Fresh Fruit Compote
This recipe uses the ability of wasabi to bring out the natural flavours in fruit without overwhelming that taste with the expected pungency of the wasabi.
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup sweet white wine
1/2 Kg (1 lb.) fresh mixed fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, prunes, raspberries, pears, apricots, peaches, apples or figs
2 tsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
2 whole cloves
1 Tbsp lemon zest
3 cinnamon sticks
- In a large saucepan, stir in water and sugar over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Place the rest of the ingredients except the Namida® Wasabi Paste into the saucepan and stir.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruits are tender and liquid has reduced to a syrupy texture.
- Turn off heat and let mixture cool to room temperature.
- Add the freshly made Namida® Wasabi Paste to the mixture and gently stir in trying not to destroy the cooked fruit.
- Pour into a large glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Overnight is better.
- Serve on fruit cups, in long-stemmed goblets with a dollop of natural whipped cream; on warm pie; alongside poultry dishes; or in the place of jelly.