This recipe may appear a bit fussy with emptying and filling frypans or skillets with liquid, but the effort is worth it.
(makes 40 potstickers)
500 gms (1 lb.) minced (ground) beef (95% lean)
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 1/3 cups finely chopped button mushrooms
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup soy sauce
40 wonton wrappers (3 1/4 to 3 1/2-inch squares OR 3 1/2-inch rounds)
2 cups water, divided OR substitute with broth
Wasabi Maple Dipping Sauce (makes 2/3 cup)
6 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
1 Tbsp. cold water
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1. Heat oil in 30cm (12-inch) nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot.
- 2. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until tender and liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
- 3. Transfer to large bowl; stir in green onions, ginger and pepper. Cool to room temperature.
- 4. Add ground beef and soy sauce; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- 5. Spoon 1 level tablespoon beef mixture in center of 1 wonton wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with clean, damp kitchen towel to prevent drying out.)
- 6. Moisten edges of wonton wrappers with fingertip dipped in water. Fold wrapper diagonally in half, sealing edges and pressing out air. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper; repeat with remaining wonton wrappers and filling to form 40 pot stickers.
- 7. Wipe out same (nonstick) skillet; spray liberally with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot.
- 8. Arrange 10 pot stickers in single layer in skillet; pan fry 4 minutes, turning once. Carefully add 1/4 cup water (or broth).
- 9. Cover, cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pot stickers, keep warm. Repeat with remaining pot stickers. (Wipe out skillet and spray with additional cooking spray between batches to prevent sticking.)
- 10. Serve pot stickers with dipping sauce.
Wasabi Maple Dipping Sauce:
- 1. Add cold water to Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder to make a thick paste. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes to allow flavour to develop.
- 2. In small mixing bowl, combine and mix all ingredients together with the wasabi paste.
- 3. Serve in small bowls to accompany pot stickers.