Chicken with Ginger and Apricots
12 chicken thighs or Turkey white meat
2 tb Olive oil
1/2 lb (250g) Dried apricots
1 1/2 cup Chicken broth
1/4 cup Dry white wine
1/4 cup Flour
3 Or 4 onions
2 cloves Garlic
1 ts Ground coriander
1 tbs Wasabi & Ginger paste
1/4 ts Ground red pepper
1/2 ts Ground cloves
- 1. Wash, skin, and bone chicken. Remove as much fat as possible. Set
2. Peel onions and garlic cloves.
3. Blend marinade ingredients in blender until they form a liquid paste.
4. Pour into large shallow dish, add chicken, and let stand for four hours, turning pieces
occasionally to expose all surfaces to the marinade.
5. Remove chicken from marinade, scraping off all you can, and set aside.
6. Heat broth and marinade in saucepan to boiling, then turn down to simmer.
7. Snip apricots into thirds with kitchen shears and add to sauce.
8. Heat oil in frying pan and brown chicken, 4 pieces at a time.
9. Place chicken in casserole, overlapping as necessary to make one layer.
10. Turn off heat under frying pan, pour in wine, scrape bits of chicken, etc. off pan
into wine, and add to sauce.
11. Grate rind from lemon, then extract juice and add both juice and rind to sauce.
12. Put flour in small bowl. Whisk in a cup of hot sauce, then add the mixture to the sauce,
whisking until smooth. Add the apricots.
13. Pour over chicken. (This can be set aside until you are ready to cook it: some delay will help the flavors blend.)
14. Preheat oven to 350 deg F (180 degrees C).
15. Bake for 1 hour, covered, until chicken is tender.
16. Serve with steamed Basmati rice.