Corned Silverside with Wasabi Sauce
This is a common meal in our house, especially in the winter. We cook the vegetables with the corned silverside and sometimes add dumplings. Great comfort food.
1 Kg (2 lbs) piece Corned Silverside
2 onions, peeled and halved
1 orange, halved
2-3 stalks celery, halved
1/2 cup brown sugar
50 gms (2 ozs) butter
2 Tbsp plain flour
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
2 Tbsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
salt and pepper to season
- Rinse the piece of corned Silverside well.
- Place in a saucepan with the onion, orange, celery and brown sugar.
- Cover with cold water.
- Bring slowly to the boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 hour or until meat can easily be pierced with a skewer.
- Can also be cooked in a pressure cooker for approx 30 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the flour.
- Cook until frothy.
- Stir in the milk slowly to make a smooth sauce.
- Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the parsley and Namida® Wasabi Paste.
- Season with salt and pepper as required.
- Serve meat sliced with vegetables.
- Pour sauce over individual servings of meat.
Alternative recipe:- Honey Glazed
Transfer the meat when cooked to a roasting dish and cut a criss-cross pattern into the fat layer on top. Spread 2 Tbsp honey on top and place under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes until golden.