Crusted Green Tomatoes with Wasabi Mayonnaise
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
½ Cup Cornstarch
1 tsp Salt
1 Cup Cold Water
1 ½ Cups Panko (or coarse) Bread Crumbs
2 Green Tomatoes-cored, sliced ¼” thick
½ Cup Wasabi Mayonnaise
Vegetable Oil for Frying as needed
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Sift together into a bowl the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, egg, and vegetable oil.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients, whisk until smooth.
- The batter should be a similar thickness to pancake batter. If too thick, add more water, if too thin, add more flour. Reserve.
- Heat a deep fryer with vegetable oil to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Dredge each tomato slice into the batter.
- Let excess batter drip off and carefully dredge each slice in the panko crumbs, coating both sides evenly, gently pressing to make the crumbs stick.
- Fry only 3-4 slices at a time until a light golden color.
- Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with Wasabi Mayonnaise.