Cucumber and Avocado Sushi
These rolls are easy to make and you can add either fake crab or smoked salmon.
Serve with teriyaki or soy sauce and wasabi.
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup uncooked glutinous white rice (sushi rice)
1 Tbsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 pinch salt
4 sheets nori (dry seaweed)
1/2 cucumber, sliced into thin strips
1 avocado – peeled, pitted and sliced
- Combine the water and rice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and water has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Set aside to cool.
- Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap to keep the rice from sticking. Place a sheet of seaweed (nori) over the plastic.
- Smear thin layer of Namida® Wasabi paste over the nori.
- Use your hands to spread the rice evenly onto the sheet, leaving about 1/2 inch of seaweed empty at the bottom.
- Arrange strips of cucumber and avocado across the center of the rice.
- Lift the mat and roll over the vegetables once and press down.
- Unroll, then roll again towards the exposed end of the seaweed sheet to make a long roll.
- You may moisten the edge of the nori with a little water to help seal the roll.
- Set aside and continue with remaining nori sheets, rice and fillings.
- Use a sharp wet knife to slice the rolls into 5 or 6 slices.
- Serve cut side up with your favorite sushi condiments.