Three Bean Wasabi Chili with Onion
Ground cumin powder, tomato paste and onions add to the flavour of slow cooked beans in this beefy tasting three bean chili.
You can make this on the stove top or in a crock pot or slow cooker as well.
This recipe starts with onions, lots of peeled and chopped onions.
Never let the beans come to a boil!
2 cups beef broth or stock
4 large onions, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup cooked pinto beans
1 cup red kidney beans
1 cup white kidney beans
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 lb (500 gms) lean ground beef 85/15
12 oz (350 gms) tomato paste
2 tsp dark brown sugar
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 Tbsp Namida® Wasabi paste made from Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
- In a large soup pot add butter and onions and cook to carmelize.
- Add ground beef and cook stirring until browned an cooked through.
- Remove and place into a blender or food processor to pulse to desired fine consistancy.
- Make up the Wasabi paste using Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder and a little cold water to make a stiff paste.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the flavour to intensify.
- Add wasabi paste to tomato paste and brown sugar and mix throughly.
- Replace the processed mix to the soup pot and add beef stock and all other ingredients including the paste made in 6 above.
- Simmer for 2 hours in a covered pot adding more beef broth or stock if needed.