Filo Prawn Fingers with Wasabi Soy Dip
2 spring onions, chopped finely
3 sheets filo pastry
1 Tbs chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
2 Tbs olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
12 large prawns, shelled and de-veined
1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
vegetable oil for deep frying
1 small fresh red chilli, seeded and chopped
“Namida®” Wasabi soy dip
1 tsp tamarind paste or lemon juice
1 Tbs tomato purée
1) Place the spring onions, coriander (cilantro), garlic, ginger, chilli, tamarind paste or lemon juice and tomato purée in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
2) Cut each sheet of pastry lengthways into 4 strips 20 x 8 cm (8 x 3 in.)
3) Take one strip and brush with a little of the oil.
4) Spread 1/2 tsp of the paste along one narrow end
5) Place a prawn over the top, with only the tail extending beyond the edge of the pastry.
6) Roll up to enclose the prawn , twisting the ends together to seal.
7) Cover with a clean tea towel and repeat to make 12 fingers.
8) Heat 10 cm (4″) of vegetable oil in a heavy-based pan to a temperature of 180°C / 350°F or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
9) Carefully slip in the prawn fingers and cook for 2 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
10) Drain on absorbent paper, and serve at once with the Wasabi Soy Dip.