Kumara and Salmon Fish Cake With Tomato Sauce
450g (1 lb) salmon fillet, skinned
450g (1 lb) Kumaras or sweet potatoes, cubed
15g (1/2 oz) butter
8 spring onions, chopped
1 small garlic clove, crushed
1 Tbs Namida® Wasabi Paste made from Namida® wasabi powder
2 Tbs chopped fresh coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 Tbs seasoned flour
100g (4 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
4 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1) Wash the fish fillets, and pat dry.
2) Cut each fillet into 3 thick slices and place in a pan.
3) Add the cold water, bring to the boil.
4) Remove from the heat and leave for 10 minutes.
5) Transfer the fish to a plate and allow to cool.
6) Cook the Kumaras (sweet potatoes) in boiling water for 10 -12 minutes until tender.
7) Drain well, and mash with a fork.
8) Set aside to cool.
9) Melt the butter in a frying pan, and fry the spring onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
10) Add the Namida® Wasabi Paste and mix well.
11) Stir into the mashed Kumara (sweet potato) with the coriander, cumin and seasoning.
12) Remove the fish from its liquid, and pat dry.
13) Flake the fish.
14) Beat into the Kumara mixture with half the beaten egg until combined.
15) Cover and chill for 1 hour.
16) Shape the fish mixture into 12 rounds, and flatten each one.
17) Dust with a little seasoned flour.
18) Dip into the remaining beaten egg and then into the breadcrumbs.
19) Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan.
20) Shallow fry the fish cakes for 3 – 4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden.
21) Drain, and serve immediately with the warm tomato sauce.
1 Tbs olive oil
4 shallots, finely chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
450g (1 lb) ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
6 Tbs water
2 tsp red wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper
- 1) Heat the olive oil in a pan.
2) Fry the shallots for 5 mins.
3) Stir in all the remaining ingredients.
4) Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
5) Purée in a blender until smooth.
6) Return to the pan and keep warm.