Prawn Mousse Filled Zucchini Flower Tempura
This is very much a seasonal delicacy as it uses the zucchini flower, and unless you are growing these in a greenhouse you won’t have access to them all year. 🙂
200 g shelled prawn, deveined and roughly chopped
8 zucchini flowers
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 egg white
4 Tbsp Wasabi Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made from Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
1 egg yolk
350 ml ice-cold water
1 1/3 cups (200 g) plain flour or potato flour (for added crispness)
To make Prawn Mousse:
- Add prawn, sesame oil, Namida® Wasabi Paste, salt and white pepper in a food processor and whiz until it forms a paste.
- Add egg white and continue to whiz until the texture becomes gluey/sticky, around 5-8 minutes.
- Set aside until needed.
- Remove the stigma (centre piece) from the centre of the zucchini flowers.
- Spoon the prawn mousse into a piping bag.
- Gently pipe the prawn mousse into the zucchini flowers.
- Twist petal tops to enclose filling.
Prepare the tempura batter
- Mix the egg yolk and iced water together in a bowl, then fold in flour until combined; the batter should be a little lumpy rather than smooth.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer at 180 deg C (350 deg F).
- Lightly dip the zucchini flower in the tempura and deep fry in hot oil for 3-4 minutes until the tempura is light golden and the prawn mousse is cooked through.
- Keep warm and continue to deep fry the rest of the zucchini flowers.
- Serve immediately with the Wasabi Mayonnaise.