Salmon Wasabi Sandwiches
When you get tired of meat sandwiches, try this recipe, which works just as well. Canned salmon is an essential cupboard staple and a convenient way to get the omega-3 benefits of oily fish, as well as useful calcium (from the salmon bones).
8 Tbsp Wasabi Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp grated fresh root ginger
1 tsp mirin
2 Tbsp chopped spring onions
8 slices pumpernickel bread
3 ½ ozs trimmed watercress sprigs, rinsed and dried
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
7 ozs canned salmon, drained and flaked
1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1/3 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Whisk 4 tablespoons of the Wasabi Mayonnaise with the rice vinegar, ginger, and mirin in a medium bowl.
- Add the salmon, spring onions and sesame seeds.
- Mix well.
- Spread the remaining 4 tablespoons Wasabi Mayonnaise over one side of each slice of bread.
- Divide the salmon mixture among four of the slices, spreading evenly.
- Top with cucumber slices and watercress.
- Set the remaining bread slices on top.
- Cut the sandwiches in half to serve.
Sometimes I add a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper to the sandwich before closing it up, and replace the cucumber and watercress with thinly sliced red pepper and lettuce. Enjoy!