Tempura Green Beans, Yellow Beans And Tofu
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 3/4 cups ice water
1 14 oz (400 gm) package firm tofu
Vegetable oil (for frying)
24 yellow wax beans, trimmed
24 thin green beans, trimmed
Ingredients for sauce
6 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tsp Namida® wasabi paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
Method for sauce
- Whisk soy sauce, lime juice, Namida® Wasabi Paste and red pepper in small bowl to blend.
- Place in small bowl.
- Serve as a dip with Tempura beans and Tofu
- Combine first 5 ingredients for the batter in the blender.
- Add 1 3/4 cups ice water and blend until smooth.
- Transfer batter to shallow dish.
- Cut tofu horizontally into 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide slices.
- Cut each slice into 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide logs.
- Arrange tofu in single layer on several layers of paper towels.
- Cover with paper towels.
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Pour enough oil into heavy large Dutch oven to reach depth of 3″ (75 mm).
- Heat oil to 375 deg F (180 deg C).
- Working in batches, dip beans into batter, shake off excess and add to oil.
- Fry until golden, stirring often, about 3 minutes per batch.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels; drain.
- Repeat with tofu and batter, and deep fry the tofu.
Serve beans and tofu with the dipping sauce.