Wasabi Tofu Soup
For the broth:
6 cups water
1 Tbsp cooking oil
2 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
2 Tbsp cooking wine
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
1/2 lb. (225 gms) deep fried tofu (can be prepared the night before)
1 block frozen tofu (see instructions below)
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup snow peas
1/2 cup cabbage, cut in 1/4 inch (6 mm) squares
1 cup rice noodles
1 Tbsp sesame oil
2 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
For Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 Tbsp cooking wine
1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs coriander (cilantro), minced
1 Tbsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made with Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
Method for dipping sauce
- Place all ingredients in food processor, mix well and strain.
- Divide into six dipping bowls.
Method for Soup
- To prepare the tofu, first freeze overnight, then thaw it out.
- Squeeze out excess water.
- Cut into 2 inch (50 mm) squares.
- Heat oil in a small cooking pan.
- Sauté ginger and garlic until the garlic is brown.
- Place the ginger, garlic and remaining broth ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Add the soup ingredients to the broth.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover.
- Simmer for approximately twenty minutes.
- Garnish with sesame oil and spring onions.
- Serve hot into serving bowls with separate bowls of dipping sauce.