Tempura Wasabi Crisps
1 125ml Jar Wasabi root in Sake.
1 60ml Jar Namida® Wasabi Mayonnaise.
vegetable oil, for frying
1 large egg
100g (4 oz) plain flour sifted
150 ml (¼ pint) cold water
- Thinly slice wasabi root.
- Drink Sake 🙂 or serve with the crisps.
To make the batter.
- Lightly beat the egg until the yolk is broken and starting to blend with the white.
- Stir in the flour and the water, until just combined, do not over mix the batter; there should be a few lumps in the mixture.
- Set the batter bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice cubes or crushed ice.
To cook the crisps.
- Heat about 12 cm (4″) of vegetable oil in a deep heavy based pan to a temperature of 180°C/350°F or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds.
- Dip the thinly sliced wasabi root into the batter and then carefully slip them into the hot oil.
- Fry the crisps five at a time for about 30 seconds until the batter is golden and very crisp. [They normally float when cooked.]
- Drain on kitchen paper, and keep warm while frying the remaining crisps.
- Serve at once with the Namida® Wasabi Mayonnaise.