Wasabi Avocado Salsa
A traditional salsa with a twist. The wasabi adds a bit of spice that I always thought was missing. Serve with tortilla chips or vegetable sticks.
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp mirin
2 tsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
1 tsp Namida® Wasabi Paste made from Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
2 cups coarsely chopped trimmed watercress (leaves and tender stems from 2 medium bunches)
4 green onions, thinly sliced on diagonal (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup 8mm (1/3-inch) cubes peeled jicama
2 large avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, cut into 8mm (1/3-inch) cubes
- Stir sesame seeds in dry skillet over medium heat until aromatic and light golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to small bowl to cool.
- Whisk next 6 ingredients in large bowl to blend.
- Add watercress, green onions, and jicama; toss to coat.
- Gently stir in avocados.
- Cover; chill.
- Sprinkle salsa with toasted sesame seeds and serve chilled.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 hour ahead.
Note: To keep avocados from discoloring after they’re diced, place them in a strainer or colander and rinse under cold running water, then drain well. The color will stay bright for at least an hour.
Yield: Makes about 4 cups