Wasabi Patty Melts
8 Hamburger Patties*
4 Hamburger Buns
4 Tbs Namida® Wasabi Mayonnaise
8 tsp Namida® Wasabi & Chilli paste
1 tsp Namida® Wasabi paste made with Namida® wasabi powder
1 medium onion – diced or sliced small
8 slices Tasty Cheddar cheese
2 Tomatoes – sliced
- 1) * Thaw the Hamburger patties if frozen.
2) If making your hamburger patties from scratch, add the Namida® Wasabi & Chilli paste to the mix and combine well.
3) Heat a heavy cast iron skillet or wok. Toss in the diced onions (no oil), with the Namida® Wasabi paste and stir fry until the onions are translucent and start to brown slightly. Stir to mix well. Remove from heat and let cool while the hamburger patties finish thawing.
4) When the hamburger patties are thawed completely, spread the Namida® Wasabi & Chilli paste over both sides of the patty.
5) Take 1 patty and place a slice of cheese on it and then spread a generous amount of the onion and Wasabi mixture to within 10mms (1/2″) of the edges of the patty.
6) Take a second patty and lay on top of the first, carefully use your fingers to seal the edges of the patty together.
7) Repeat with the remaining hamburger patties, cheese slices, and onion mixture.
8) If you are very careful with these assembled patty melts you can cook them on the grill. Otherwise cook them in the skillet you cooked the onions in, just wipe it out and heat it before cooking the patty melts.
OR you can put them on a broiler pan and broil in the oven.
9) Cook until the patty melts are done. (We normally cook them until the cheese oozes out).
10) Spread some of the Namida® Wasabi Mayonnaise on both sides of the hamburger bun, put the melt into it and place a slice of cheese and tomato on the top half of the buns and add any other garnishes as required.
Note: With our family we find the cook cannot keep up with the demand, so be prepared to supply more than one burger per person.