Crab Cakes with Avocado Wasabi Sauce
This is something that can be prepared and kept in the fridge to be cooked when your guests arrive. It is fairly straight forward, it can be eaten with or without a bun and if you make the crab cakes small enough then they become appetisers complete with a tasty dip dressing.
For Crab Cakes
500 gms (1 lb) lump crab meat [pick through it to remove cartilage and bits of shell].
1/2 small red bell pepper [finely chopped]
1 small leek [minced]
1/2 fresh Jalapeno pepper [minced without seeds]*
1/2 small onion [finely chopped]
2 stalks spring onions [white parts only, chopped – the green parts are used for garnish]
1 Tbsp. finely chopped chives
1.5 cups panko crumbs [bread crumbs will do as well]
2 pinches Cayenne pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. Namida® Wasabi Paste [made using Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder]
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil [for cooking]
1. Chop vegetables and combine in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until mixed and add crab meat.
3. Coat the crab meat and add the chopped vegetables, mixing ingredients well.
4. Add 3/4 panko crumbs and mix well.
5. Season according to taste preference.
6. The mixture should be moist. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
7. Remove crab cake mixture from the refrigerator and mix the freshly made Namida® Wasabi Paste into the mixture.
8. Make small crab patties, rolling each in the remaining panko crumbs.
9. Reserve patties on plate or dish with parchment paper.
10. If pan-frying, heat olive oil in a saute pan on medium high heat. If baking, heat oven to 350 degrees.
11. Fry each cake until golden brown and drain of excess oil on plate with paper towels. If baking, allow cakes to bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Serve with the Avocado Wasabi Sauce and a slice of lemon.
* If you want to make it hotter then you can leave the seeds in, or use a hotter pepper.
If you want appetisers, make small patties and serve with a bowl of Avocado Wasabi Sauce on the side. You better have plenty of these available, because they will go very quickly. 🙂
p.s. Using minced prawns or other seafood works just as well as crab. Enjoy!
You can purchase Namida 100% Pure Wasabia japonica rhizome powder here. This powder is freeze dried to retain all the ITC content and contains no additives.
Copyright 2018: World Wasabi Inc. All rights reserved