Mussels in Broth with Matcha
1 Tbsp vegetable oil, preferably grapeseed
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 Tbsp minced ginger
2 tsp Namida® Wasabi paste made from Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
Juice and grated zest of 1 lime
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 Kg (2 lbs) mussels, scrubbed
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp matcha (Japanese powdered green tea).
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add the shallots and ginger and cook, covered, over very low heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the Namida® Wasabi paste, lime juice, zest, salt and sugar.
- Stir in the wine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mussels, cover, and cook over medium heat until they open, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer them with a slotted spoon, draining well, to 4 shallow soup plates.
- Cover the plates to keep warm.
- Whisk the cream into the broth.
- Bring to a slow simmer.
- Sift matcha into the pan through a small strainer and, using a fine whisk or a hand blender, blend vigorously until the mixture starts to look frothy.
- Spoon over mussels.
Serve with crusty bread for the sauce.