Korean Style Prawn & Pork Dumplings with Wasabi mayo
- 4 medium prawns (without the shell, diced into 8 pcs)
- 40 gram minced semi-lean pork
- 2 pieces water chestnuts (diced into 8 pcs)
- 2 pieces dried shitake mushrooms (make 8 slices)
- 1 tsp coriander leaves (only the leaves and chopped finely)
- 2 tsp spring onion (only ghe green part, finely diced)
- 9 pcs round-shaped dumpling wrappers
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- a dash of ground white pepper
- 60 gm bean sprouts shoots, washed and dried (if you do not like greenish taste, you can blanch and steep in cold water and dry)
- 16 pcs of walnuts, toasted and glazed with maple syrup or honey
- 5 Tbsp Wasabi mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine (hua tiau)
- 8 drops of sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground red pepper
- 8 tsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
How to make it
- METHOD TO PREPARE THE FILLING:
- Peel prawns and devein them. Cut each prawn into half. For mushrooms, wash and soak in water. Soak mushroom in warm water and when it is soft, squeeze out water and cut each mushroom into 4 pcs. Remove skin of water chestnuts and cut each chestnut into 4 pcs. Wash coriander leaves and chopped it finely. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (prawns, pork, water chestnuts, mushrooms, spring onion and coriander leaves) and seasonings. Stir until well combined. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- METHOD OF WRAPPING:
- Wrapping Korean Style dumplings
- METHOD FOR COOKING:
- Boil a pot of water and add all the dumplings in and cook for 10 mins. You will know that the dumpling is cooked when the wrapper is transparent or the prawn inside looks pinkish. Usually when the dumplings float to the surface of the water, they are cooked.
- METHOD FOR ASSEMBLING:
- Place a handful of bean sprout shoots on the serving plate, lay dumplings on it. Springkle with walnuts. Serve with the sauce on the side.
- The way to eat this is put a piece of walnut and some bean spout shoots in your mouth with each bite of the sui kow. mmmm…. YUM! YUM!
- Note: Let your imagination runs wild and come up with your own presentation of the dish. Have fun!
Ingredients for Sui kow (Dumplings):
Ingredients for wasabi mayo red pepper sauce: