Crabmeat and Wasabi Vol Au Vent
8 Tbsp Wasabi Mayonnaise
1 lb Lump crabmeat picked clean
2 Tbsp Wasabi caviar (Can use salmon eggs or similar)
Wasabi caviar for garnish
2 Frozen puff pastry sheet from a 17 ounce pkg
1 large Egg
2 Tbsp Milk
Vol Au Vent
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Defrost pastry dough according to manufacturer’s directions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk
- Set aside.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment
- Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, use a 50mm (2 inch) pastry cutter to make 36 rounds.
- Use a 25mm (1 inch) pastry cutter to make indentations on the centers of the rounds without cutting through the pastry.
- Using a pastry brush, coat rounds with the egg wash.
- Cook on prepared baking sheets until raised and golden, 10 to 12 min.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, gently remove the centre to create a shell. If necessary, use a paring knife to coax out the center.
- Repeat with the remaining shells. (Makes 3 dozen shells)
- In a large bowl, mix together the Wasabi Mayonnaise and crabmeat.
- Gently mix in the Wasabi Caviar.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Chill till ready to serve.
- To serve, fill pastry shells with crab-caviar mix
- Garnish with more Wasabi caviar.