Wasabi Crab Cakes with Ginger Aioli
Makes 20 crab cakes
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup minced shallots
1/4 cup Wasabi Mayonnaise
2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
3/4 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
500 gms (1 lb) fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs (coarse breadcrumbs are OK)
4 Tbsp canola oil
Ginger Aioli (Makes 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup Wasabi Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- Combine the first seven ingredients (green onions, shallots, Wasabi Mayonnaise, rice vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice and tamari) in a bowl.
- Gently fold in the crabmeat.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes or several hours.
- Stir the egg and 1/3 cup of the panko into the crabmeat mixture.
- Shape into 20 small patties.
- Dredge in the remaining panko.
- Cook the crab cakes, in batches, in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- To make the ginger aioli, Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Serve with the ginger aioli, either as a dipping sauce or poured over the crab cakes.