Simple and easy to make for the BBQ or kitchen.
This recipe can be used either as a BBQ on bamboo skewer treat, or even better – cooked in a pan in the kitchen – that way you get more on your plate.
In this particular recipe we suggest you use toasted sesame seeds, but as there are a lot of people who are allergic to that particular seed, we used poppy seeds straight out of the packet as well, and I think they tasted better.
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1 Kg (2 lbs) thawed shrimp deveined and peeled, tail on (if putting on skewers). Remove the tails if cooking in the pan.
- 1/2 cup honey (Runny Honey is better – if you don’t have any then warm up the honey you have).
- 2 Tbsp. Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
- 2 Tbsp. COLD water from the refrigerator.
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. freshly toasted sesame seeds (buy them cheap at Asian markets, and heat them up in a pan on high heat, until they start popping up). Remove from heat and allow to cool. [Use Poppy Seeds if allergic to sesame seeds].
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- For BBQ – Skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes prior to putting shrimp on skewers).
- Splash of Vinegar – Cider Vinegar is nice, but any will do. We used Balsamic vinegar.
1. Add just enough cold water to Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder to make a thick paste and activate the flavours. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow flavours to develop. See video on how to do this here.
2. Add splash of vinegar to activated wasabi paste.
3. Mix runny honey, activated wasabi and salt until blended.
4. Whisk in vegetable oil until blended.
5. Marinate shrimp in the mixture ensuring all surfaces are covered, cover with wrap and let it set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave it the hotter the shrimps will be when you cook them.
Cooking on the BBQ
1. Skewer shrimp (about 4-6 per skewer). This can be done before marinating otherwise it gets really messy very quickly.
2. Heat grill to medium, and lightly grease the grill surface.
3. Grill skewers 2.5 minutes per side (flip only once).
4. Sprinkle with sesame (or poppy) seeds and serve immediately.
Cooking in the pan in the Kitchen
1. Heat up a large pan, and lightly grease it.
2. Lay marinated shrimps in a single layer in pan and cook for approx 2.5 minutes each side (flip only one).
3. Sprinkle with sesame (or poppy) seeds and serve immediately.
Cooking in the oven
This can also be done in a large oven tray in the oven. Preheat the tray and oven to approx 200 deg C.
These are great either served as a main course or entree, or even as appetisers. Make more than you think you will need because people will be asking for more.
Prawns can be used instead of shrimp.
You can purchase 100% Pure Wasabia japonica rhizome powder here. This powder is freeze dried to retain all the ITC content and contains no additives.
Copyright: 2017 - Present; World Wasabi Inc., All rights reserved