Wasabi mayonnaise is a simple but very versatile item that can be kept in the refrigerator for quite a while. There are several ways that this can be made.
1. Go to the store and buy some “wasabi” mayonnaise off the shelf. There are lots of manufacturers out there who produce the stuff, but have a read of the ingredients on the back and then you might decide to use one of the next methods to make your own. 🙂
This is the next simplest method that I know and doesn’t really involve a massive amount of work. 🙂
- Using the normal mayonnaise that is in your pantry, or go to the store and buy the mayonnaise that you like the best, add some wasabi paste to it in the quantity that you want. Adjust the flavour by adding more mayonnaise or wasabi paste until you get the flavour you want.
- Put it in a jar and keep it in the refrigerator for when you want it. It will keep for quite a while.
Now one of the things that I have noticed about using the “faux” wasabi that is normally available in tubes already made up, the flavour of the wasabi mayonnaise tends to be a bit patchy. Also sometimes the mixture tends to separate when stored.
The best way I have found to make a nice and long lasting mix (if it doesn’t get scoffed at every opportunity), is to make a wasabi paste up from powder (my favourite is Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder). Make it up with cold water into a stiff paste, let it sit for 5 minutes or so and then mix with the mayonnaise. I use a Tablespoon of Wasabi paste to a cupful of mayonnaise as the first approximation.
An article has been written about How to get the best of of powdered wasabi. It can be found here.
This method requires a bit more work to get together, but in my view this gives the best results. You do have to make your own mayonnaise, but with a food processor it doesn’t take too long and your arm doesn’t get tired. 🙂
- 2 Large Egg Yolks or 1 Large Egg and 1 Egg Yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 3/4 tsp Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly Ground White Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) Olive Oil
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Chicken Broth or Water as needed to thin the sauce
To make mayonnaise by hand:
1. Rinse a mixing bowl with hot water and dry it well.
2. Make the Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder into a stiff paste, and let rest for 5 minutes.
3. Place the 2 egg yolks, vinegar, wasabi, and a little salt and pepper in the bowl and beat the mixture with a whisk or an electric mixer at medium speed until very well blended.
4. Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the oil drop by drop, beating constantly.
5. Continuing to beat, add the rest of the oil in a thin stream, being careful to incorporate all the oil to form an emulsion.
6. When all the oil has been absorbed, season the mayonnaise to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
7. Beat in a little broth or water if you wish to thin the mayonnaise.
To make mayonnaise in a food processor or blender:
1. Make the Namida® 100% Pure Wasabi Powder into a stiff paste, and let rest for 5 minutes
2. Put 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, the vinegar, the wasabi paste, a little salt, and a few grinds of pepper in the bowl of the processor fitted with the steel blade and blend well.
3. With the food processor running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream.
4. When the mayonnaise is emulsified and all the oil has been absorbed, scrape it into a bowl and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
5. Beat in a little broth or water if you wish to thin the mayonnaise.
Store the made up mayonnaise in the refrigerator until need – every day? 🙂